Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:59:03 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tips on passing emissions
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I don't think I've seen intake valve seals on any waterboxer head I ever took apart.

There are a lot of vanagon waterboxer engines not running perfectly. I think that's fairly safe to say. They sure do 'keep going' though, even if not really right, gotta love that about 'em.

"overly advanced timing causes the throttle to be too far closed" ........?? howdi-ya figger ? Maybe that means either of the two screws that affect idle are used to keep rpm down to where it belongs at idle, since the too advanced timing is conspiring to create a too fast idle.

" throttle too far closed" just by itself ...don't get that either, unless somebody messes with a stop screw perhaps.

On 6/29/2012 1:51 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > So for all those years you had one or more of the following: > Ignition miss fire > Lean miss fire due to bad injector(s), vacuum leak, cylinder air flow > unbalance due to cylinder, rings, or valve problem. > Valve problem-exhaust. > Oil carry over from overfilling, worn guides, or intake valve stem seals > missing. > Improperly adjusted ignition timing, (over advanced)causing throttle to be > too far closed, insufficient air for combustion, mixing at idle speed. > > In addition the catalyst was not doing its job. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Stuart MacMillan > Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 12:05 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Tips on passing emissions > > At least they worked 10 years ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post I used > to have to go to a test site where a guy with a Sun three gas tester charged > $35 to guarantee you passed. No matter how much tuning I did, and I would > even set the mixture screw to get the proper voltage at the O2 sensor, I > always failed on HC, and he did two things. First he cranked up the idle to > the maximum the test facility allowed, which was 1150 rpm. The second, and > most important, is that he was able to talk the tester out of using the > funnel they were supposed to stick on the wand for short tailpipes like the > Vanagon's. I think that had the most to do with it because without it there > was more air dilution of the exhaust gasses. That stupid funnel kept the > gasses in the tailpipe longer, and I didn't think it was fair. They didn't > listen to me though. > > > > These were the days before we had dynamometer testing, so YRMV. Syncros are > not dyno tested though for obvious reasons. > > > > Good luck! > > > > Stuart > > Exempt '85 Westy > > Seattle >