Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:16:45 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Matilda - additional update
Comments: To: Laurie Wallace <laurie-ann15@hotmail.com>,
          keithpike <keithpike@nf.sympatico.ca>

Matilda's future plans have taken yet another new turn since the last email I sent out - things move quickly here!

After a lot of discussions with someone on the list who wanted to bring her to Tennessee, a man literally showed up at my door saying "is that your van, is it for sale, I want to buy it right now and restore it, I'll give you the cash."

I had put an ad up on kijiji.ca, not really expecting it to lead to anything since St. John's is a small place and the market is thin. Clearly I was wrong! After I got over my shock, and he and I talked to for a long time, I realized it really did make more sense for her to stay where she is, rather than having someone fly all the way from Tennessee and then have to drive her back pretty much in her current condition before beginning to work on her.

So, with many apologies sent off to Tennessee for the change in plans (and an agreement that hopefully he'll come here to visit someday anyhow, and maybe I'll go to Knoxville), Matilda is moving just a few miles up the road from me, where she will be lovingly restored. The buyer isn't on the vanagon list now, but he certainly seemed interested in joining, so hopefully soon you'll hearing from him about Matilda (I hope he doesn't change her name!) instead of hearing from me. And I guess after a while I'll be seeing her around town - running better, with less rust, and all her problems fixed. Hopefully she'll be on the road for many years to come.

For the moment, I'm scouting for a really reliable car that gets very good gas mileage - but I'm kind of thinking in a few years I'll get the itch to travel again, and I'll be looking for another vanagon. I hope so! Maybe by then I'll somehow miraculously have gotten rich, and I can buy one of those vans that's been 100% restored and costs a fortune, but is as reliable as a new vehicle? Not likely, but I can always dream! ;-)

Joy