Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2012 12:34:40 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: printing parts
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

At 10:44 AM 7/9/2012, Dave Mcneely wrote: >Actually, stuff I've read states explicitly that the process can >print with metal alloys, plastics, other materials. But, what do I >know? mcneely

There are many different processes, with wildly differing startup and processing costs, materials, and results. The article that Scott pointed to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Printer gives a good beginning overview of the various techniques and applicable materials, and you can search YouTube for videos of the different techniques. Be aware that there's a video out there from NatGeo showing the scanning and reproduction (in plaster) of a "Crescent" wrench that is quite misleading as to details, and I'm ashamed of the National Geographic Foundation.* They don't mention it in the video, but the speed of that particular inkjet-type prototyping machine is IIRC about one inch of depth per hour. But you can also see laser sintering, drop deposition and other techniques. I think the industrial machines probably start well upwards of $50k and go way up from there; the hobby machines are under a grand or so but as far as I know are limited to drop-deposition techniques which makes them both crude and limited to things that melt at low temperatures.

*I also object to the probably unconsciously aggressive behavior of the NatGeo "scientist" guy with the large wrench, who spends a lot of time (seconds!) gently tapping his palm with the big end of it. I imagine it only means that the only time he's seen such a wrench before has been in a violent movie...

Martin's eos laser-sintering machine (tree starts at http://www.eos.info/en/products/systems-equipment.html ) can certainly make pistons if eos supply a suitable alloy powder for it. And they do have an aluminum/silicon/magnesium alloy that might be great. At present they'd be darn expensive pistons, though. Volkswagen have already used it to make what must be the ugliest (YMMV) shifter knob in known space from stainless steel, see http://www.eos.info/en/applications/automotive/project-volkswagen.html

Martin, any idea what your lab would sell a thermostat housing for in AlSi10Mg alloy? Or CoCr SP2 for that matter? Call it three ounces of aluminum as a wild guess? And how long would it take to make one given an original? Actual processing time, I mean. I'm guessing you normally build the wax on the plaster articulation model, then scan it, am I close? In that case assuming your machine is big enough, you could start with the scan. Also, do you have a clue what the eos setup cost?

The baby is just learning to crawl...it's reached the point of being useful for luxury one-offs, expensive custom parts, medical implants, aerospace components, other cost-no-object items or ones where tooling would be very expensive and/or mechanical qualities aren't very important. It's been used for a while for making prototype models from plaster, like Detroit's clay cars in small (up to milk-crate size, I think), and for polymers. Solid metals are newer. I don't think (be nice if I'm wrong) it's going to be a lot of help to your average Vanagonaut for a few years yet.

Science-fiction people might take a look at Neal Stephenson's _The Diamond Age_. for some thoughts about where this could go. I reckon you'll either love it or hate it - the book, that is. Stephenson is many things. Concise is not one of them.

Yours, David