Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:24:01 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear End Vibrations
Comments: To: orin <alpineorin@GMAIL.COM>

Defective CV joints usually click and clunk. Vibrations and other noises usually mean bearings.

Dennis

Sent from my Windows Phone ________________________________ From: orin Sent: 7/12/2012 10:53 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Rear End Vibrations

Hello!

I've been having some pretty loud vibration/noise coming from the read of my '88 Vanagon GL. I did some research and reading on the list and at the Samba and it seemed like checking the CV joints was a good place to start. I also read this article:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_16_9/cv_joint_maintenence.html

for more info on checking/replacing CV joints. At this point I feel like I probably have worn CV joints, but I'm not totally confident and I thought I would ask here before moving forward with the work.

One thing I'm not totally clear on comes from the above article:

"Another test you can easily perform (thanks to Mark Drillock) is to park on level ground, tranny in neutral, parking brake off (wheels chocked, please!) and try to manually move the axle from side to side. When the CVs are badly worn, the axle will move quite easily, and may even hit the flange plug/cover on the transmission side (clunk). "

When performing this test I believe the author means to move the axle toward the wheel/away from the transmission and back, in which case my axles do move about an inch, fairly easily. The thing that confuses me is that I imagine the axles have to move in and out to compensate for the position of the wheel in relation to the transmission. So, is the inch or so of play normal, or a sign of a bad CV joint? The other test mentioned in the article, driving in tight circles and listening for clunking/noise, did not reveal anything.

The one other thing that makes me think it could be the CV joint is this. When cornering at highway speed, when the vibration/noise is most noticeable, I found that while turning more sharply the vibration/noise stops. My theory, based on no real experience with CV joints, is that as the weight of the van shifts to one side it stabilizes the joint, stopping the vibration. Is this guess totally out of line? One last diagnostic, when braking the van I can feel the vibration in the brake pedal. I can't feel the vibration in any other way, i.e. the steering, and the vibration while braking seems to be getting worse.

Also, I did check the torque on the retaining bolts for the CV joints on the tranny side and the wheel side, everything was tight and in place. While working there I did check around for anything else loose, but didn't see anything.

I'd appreciate anyone's experience or suggestions as to whether I am on the right track or not. If not, any other thoughts on what could be causing the vibration?

Thanks everyone!

--

'88 Vanagon GL w/ Suby 2.2 conversion

* My Blog <http://orinsalah.blogspot.com/> * My Photos <http://www.flickr.com/photos/orinsalah/>