Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:32:14 -0700
From:         Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Catalytic Converter Choice
Comments: To: Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

Hey Skip,

I just went through that very problem on my 16" Doka. The only fix was to replace both header pipes.

No matter what I did, I could not get those flanges to line up correctly. Somehow, the flange on the header pipe had become cockeyed.

As for catalytic converters... the Magnaflow is a much better cat than the Emico. Far more material, comes up to operating temp quicker and seems to be higher quality. In most areas, it's not an issue, but here in California, our T3s need all the help they can get passing smog.

Cheers,

Jeff

The Bosal that I have is fitted with the "loose" flanges, therefore the "seal" is questionable. I would prefer a cat with fixed flanges so that, with the gaskets and the correct torque, I can be assured of a tight seal. Regarding the Emico, I understand it's a Canadian manufacture that is part of the former Volkswagen Canada group. I can order the new cat direct from them (I can't seem to find a local distributor). I think that I'll order Emico unless someone knows why not to, or that the Magnaflux is remarkably better.

Tonight I discovered a leak in the exhaust manifold at the "twin junction" where the 1&3 pipe connects with the 2&4 pipe (leak is at the bottom nut/bolt of 1&3 connection). I tightened the nuts and bolts(still leaks) so, once it cools, I will add a second gasket to that connection to see if it will quiet the exhaust. This is all part of the post engine-refurb shakedown.

I'll ask my question about the timing/idle in another thread. Thanks in advance for any additional comments regarding catalytic converters.

Skip

----- Original Message ----- From: Pat <psdooley@verizon.net> To: 'Skip' <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET> Sent: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:52:41 -0000 (UTC) Subject: RE: Catalytic Converter Choice

Hi, just curious about why you don't like the cat..

'84 WBXR Manual, 1.9 case with 2200cc GoWesty kit

Emico or Magnaflow?

I have 200 miles on my Bosal cat and I'm just not comfortable with it - not sure why (I'll part it forward for $50 + shipping).

So, I want to upgrade but don't know if Emico or Magnaflow is better and why? Or, perhaps another manufacture?

Would you offer experience, opinions, perhaps facts? It's a 49 stater, not California. Thank you.

Skip