Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:54:36 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: [NVC] Cleaning up epoxy mess?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

5 minute epoxy is so-named because it will last usually about 5 minutes. Having said that, Gougeon Brothers West system epoxy comes in small ketchup style foil packets for small repairs. All ready pre-measured, so you just squirt a red one and squirt a blue one out in to the mixing bowl and then you have no re-capping of a tube/tubes to deal with. I keep mine in a dedicated compartment of a small Plano organizer so they don't get squashed. My portable epoxy repair kit has those in it too, and fiberglass/'kevlar/ tools etc. all stuffed in a 45 cal. metal ammo box.

As far as the removal goes, if it's not been catalyzed, I'd vote for the acetone. Styrene based palstic surfaces won't like that much, but the polyethylene based ones should take it pretty well.

DM&FS

The At 08:14 AM 7/8/2012, Don Hanson wrote: > What material is your Bin Box? That can make a difference in what you >might use. > > The most 'effective' solvent for most Epoxies is Acetone. That will >remove most all types of epoxy, but it's volatile stuff. Alcohol also >works, but more slowly, on most epoxies. Hot detergent/soapy solution will >work sometimes, too. Epoxies can be different and react differently to >the various solvents. I'm guessing you'd dissolve the labels and printing >on the other 'goo-ed up' tubes and jars that are epoxy covered if you try >to use acetone to clean up your mess. You might be best off just starting >over. > > Having 5-minute Epoxy in any tool box without it being in an air tight >package of some sort....that is like carrying honey on a backpacking >trip....eventually it WILL get out and get all over everything, making a >stinky sticky mess....as you seem to have discovered with your epoxy. > Don Hanson > >On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com > > wrote: > > > [Originally sent on the 6th but gerry was down and this might not have > > been posted -- I can't see it, anyway.] > > > > No Vanagon Content, but this might help others in a similar pickle.* > > > > A tube of epoxy popped a leak and dribbled clear, sticky stuff inside my > > "adhesives" bin box, coating the various other tubes of glues with > > clear, sticky stuff. I'm only talking about 1 of the 2 epoxy parts here. > > So it will never harden nor dry out. It will remain sticky forever. > > > > Is there a solvent I can use to clean up this sticky mess? > > > > ============ > > * "Similar Pickle"--good name for a band? > > > > -- > > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > > Bend, Ore. > >