Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:59:12 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: hook and loop fasteners
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

A good high quality epoxy will keep the velcro parts from "wandering". I usually thicken the epoxy with either coloidal silica or baby powder so the resin doesn't bleed through the velcro backing and coat the hooks and loops from the bottom up. Multiple thin layers of contact cement work okay on flexible surfaces too, but sewing them to fabric is likely the best method. It's getting harder to find Velcro without the sticky backing these days.

YMMV

DM&FS

At 08:04 AM 7/8/2012, Larry Alofs wrote: >I am a firm believer in velcro, but the hooks and loops are typically >stronger than the adhesive. When you try to detach you get >"unexpected results". > >Larry A. > > >On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > I am considering renovating the insect screen for the slider door > opening that I have for my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL > Campmobile. I ordered it from GoWesty 3 years ago. i installed it > per instructions, and it sort of works. However, it was never > perfect, and bugs, particularly large beetles, are able to get in > around the edges, where it is fastened to the bulkhead with > snaps. A couple of snaps have broken, too, and must be > replaced. A few places just never fit tight against the bulkhead, > even though properly stretched, measured exactly per instructions. > > > > So, a while back someone on here suggested hook and loop > tape. There appear to be two choices for installing the > stuff: It comes as sticky backed tape, or as plain backed. Has > anyone any experience with the sticky backed stuff in this or a > similar application? The drape itself flexes of course, and I > wonder how well the tape will stick over time. But the plain would > have to be sewn to the drape, and the edge is a heavy vinyl > material that would require a much heavier duty sewing machine that > the one we have for sewing dress fabric and such. > > > > If anyone has experience that would help me in deciding whether > to spend $30-40 for hook and loop tape and then a lot of labor, > please advise. I guess the sticky stuff would be the better > choice. And on the bulkhead, I could additionally fasten it down > with the snaps. I could even do that on the drape, if the snaps > will fasten through both the tape and the drape edge. > > > > Please advise, thanks. mcneely