Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:51:21 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Restoring Westy cabinet edge pieces

Being a woodworker, I have to say the plastic trim crap that Westphalia used is one thing in these vans that is not up to standards. Most of the rest of the interiors are of great quality (for a production interior) Also not too impressive in my interior (I haven't seen any others to check really closely) is that shelving with the paper stuck on it....Weak! For just a little more they could have done a lot better. On the good side (and the Westphalia is really really good) the engineering that went into these vans is outstanding. When I got my van it was a "blank slate" a passenger van that I intended to do a nice yacht quality interior in. I've done multiple vans and lots of high dollar yacht interiors.....But along came an ad in Samba or somewhere..."Westie interior and poptop for sale...$300, you remove and pick up" so I went and got it as a 'temporary' measure. I couldn't even buy the wood for $300 to build my own, not to mention all the custom stuff like the kitchen unit and all the hardware that makes the interior about 4hrs to install......And it all works so well... But that cheezy plastic plywood edging....and the contact paper...they could have done a bit better with that.

If I were into making a Gold-Plater Syncro best in the world ever van....I would love to emulate the Westie interior but do it with a real yacht finish....small shipmate charcoal heater, teak and holly floor, alaskan yellow cedar celings, Brunzeel plywood bulkheads and a really nice galley, gimbled lamps...etc..But I don't have a few months that I want to spend on a VW Van interior....I'm too busy using my ...temporary interior...

Don Hanson