Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:43:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Safety tip of the day:  Check your rear seatbelts!
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

'belt' - which belt/s ?

had to read the whole thing to find out it's about rear seat belts.

what I find on them all the time is someone has pulled it out to full length, jamming the plastic 'holder thing' against the buckle, and then it's a small trick to get it back like to belongs, so length is adjustable again.

wow, 19 dollars a set for seat belts .. Scary cheap. Wonder where those are made ?

Genuine OE belts cost hundreds I believe.

At least vanagon seat belt latches are not very prone to getting jammed up with bits of food, hair, and chewing gum.

lol. There was a problem for a while, perhaps in the late 80's/early 90's where Honda front seat belts weren't working like they should... Honda did some research on it, and concluded that americans are slobs, and get junk like food and hair in their front seat belt latch mechanisms. Happens on some older volvo's too.

glad you got yours fixed ! scott

On 7/20/2012 9:35 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > Well, as I dig deeper and deeper, I keep finding things POs have screwed > up, but this is the worst, it could kill someone. > > > > The plastic clip covers on the adjustable side of the belt were all taped > up, and a mess. I took the tape off and found that on one the metal piece > that the belt loops around was re-assembled improperly and then taped up. > If the belt had ever been needed the clip would have pulled right off. The > other clip was so rusty the belt couldn't be adjusted at all. They were > completely useless. > > > > Take a minute to inspect your rear seat belts to make sure they adjust > easily as well as for fraying, especially the passenger side belt, which > runs around the seat mechanism. > > > > I replaced them with belts from > http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/1511-60.html for $19 a set. > > > > Stuart > > '85 Westy >