Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:38:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's my Westy worth?
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

I dispute that ! I say it's worth at least 585.00 !! besides... who knows where it is ? it could be so far out in the boondocks, .. or in some climate where vans rust desperately .. and it is 30 years old this year too ...

sincerely ..WHERE something is is a factor in what it is worth. It's worth a whole lot more in say Southern California than it would be in say ...oh, Yellow Knife, Yukon Territories.

It would be nicer to make it clear that it now runs on gasoline. People would have to know that there isn't any 1.8 diesel and that any rabbit/fox 1.8 is an 8 valve inline four gas engine. Not everyone knows that . Might help to sell your van . and actually .. that is how I would promote it personally. 82 Diesel Westy with inline four gasoline Rabbit engine.

That 'can be' quite a good conversion. The last van I had in where the owner said mechanics said it was ' a clean conversion' ... I sure had to laugh, because when I finally saw it, it was the most hacked up abused trashed tiico installation one could imagine.

Sounds like a neat machine. two thoughts.. what would YOU personally pay for it ? Say $ 8,000 ...if so, that's one way to get your price. the other is to research the market, and see what similar vans are going for, like on thesamba.com.

another reason location is so important is .. people know that vans from say Arizona or California don't rust much .. and that ones from other places rust like crazy .

oddly...at leat 80 % of 'selling my van' adds never say where the frick the damn thing is .. Why is that ??????? I swear ......people have gotten a LOT dumber since the computer came into common use.

you-know-you. S.

On 7/20/2012 10:56 AM, Harry Hoffman wrote: > > It's worth, exactly, $575.00. Where do I send the check? ;-) > > -------- Original Message -------- > From: Paul Chubbuck > Sent: Fri, Jul 20, 2012 01:22 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > CC: > Subject: Re: What's my Westy worth? > > I forgot two more important features, which I've now added to the end > of the > list. Sorry for the double-post. > > > > I would appreciate educated opinions about the selling value of my > Westy. I > have not quite decided for sure to sell it but would like to know > first what > I could get. > > > > Here's the details. > > > > . 1982 VW Westfalia with all camper options, 160,000 mileage, runs > well, all functions normally > > . Engine (originally diesel) converted by previous owner to a Fox or > Rabbit 1.8L with approx. 40,000 mileage. Engine works fine. Uses a little > oil, but compression good. I have been told by my mechanic that it was a > well-done conversion job. > > . Transmission is fine. Clutch replaced 2 years ago > > . Added radio/CD deck with 4 speakers recently > > . Added skylight (not original with this model year) > > . Added fan vent in roof to reduce heat buildup while stationery > > . 2 battery system (2nd for camper options) with electronic > "splitter" > > . Upholstery and tent replaced approx. 10 years ago, both in good > condition > > . Heavy duty tires with most of tread left > > . Original Dometic refrigerator works with all 3 options. I have had > it apart and successfully restored its full function. It cools well and I > actually improved design of vent and added remote thermometer sensors to > track fridge temp. > > . Propane tank was replaced about 10 years ago > > . 2 burner range works great > > . Water tank, pump, sink all work > > . Original booster heater still in place. I had it working on > gasoline a few years ago, but not now. Could definitely be restored by a > competent person. > > . Include catalytic internal propane heater I installed which makes > interior nice and toasty on cold nights. Can either run off normal > onboard > tank or auxiliary portable tank > > . Original paint job (brown) is in fair condition. I have done spot > painting to avoid rusting. > > . All window glass intact and working (rolling or sliding) > > . All curtains present, including curtains for front windshield and > for sliding door > > . Include rollout RV awning over sliding door area, excellent > condition and shades large area > > . Includes added 2" hitch and bike rack, as well as 2" ball > converter > > > > > > That's all I can think of right now that's relevant. > > > > Thanks, > > Paul >