Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:30:33 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      A/C woes - LONG

I (and my mechanic) have been working on my '85 Westy's A/C for nearly a year now, though nothing was done over the wintery months. I hate to think of the funds used in project so far.

'85 Westy in Phoenix, AZ Original A/C system components R-12 freon

History - last year: A/C had not been used for over ten years; finally decided to go ahead and replace/fix/clean all system components. ALL hoses replaced, new compressor, new expansion valve, new reciever/dryer. Evaporator and condenser taken out and cleaned with 91% alcohol.

I reassembled system and (as it turns out) connected compresser backwards. This was the day before leaving for vacation. We (mechanic and I) reconnected properly, but system did not work, with too much pressure high side and no pressure low side. After disconnecting, pressure did not equalize, leading us to believe that something was blocking the freon flow. Left on vacation sans A/C - had a great, though warm, trip. Didn't mess with the A/C system till it began warming up again this year.

Current status: Entire system has been flushed with A/C flush, receiver dryer has been replaced (again), and a new expansion valve has been fitted (twice!).

System blows nice cool air up to about 40 miles per hour. It seems that as the condenser gets more air blowing through it, the low side goes to a vacuum while the high side pressure goes up. Mechanic tells me there is about a 100 degree differense between top and bottom of the condenser, which he finds unusual. He's thinking that something inside the condenser could be blocking the flow, so I'm looking at purchasing a new (to me) condenser and fitting it.

I'm looking for any ideas, or anyone who has had this experience in the past to raise his hand and give me more ideas.

Karl Wolz