Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:57:16 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Injector (or wiring) Question: Deceleration,
              Fuel Shutoff Mode
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

Hey Scott. Thanks for the reply.

> in a waterboxer Dififant or Digijet EFI system . > the ECU fires all injectors at once. Sometimes called 'batch fire'.

Huh. Well That's what I thought. Not sure what mechanic was thinking. Maybe he and I were talking of 2 different things.

> so if it's cutting off one, it has to be cutting all of them off. it would > be relatively impossible for just one to be shut off. > The way the circuit works.. > power from the main relay is present at each injector. > The ecu supplies ground to all of them at once....holding them all open for > however many milliseconds the ECU determines is correct given the various > inputs ....rpm, temperature, and whether throttle is at closed position, in > between, or at WOT.

Right. This is what I had read and understood.

> I suppose an injector could be sticking open or leaking .. > they are normally closed by spring pressure, and it takes grnd supplied by > the ecu to open an injector, or all of them.

> I do like the idea of wondering if an injector is faulty , as in worn or > leaking. That makes good sense.

Residual fuel pressure test showed system held pressure for at least 10 minutes. Almost 20 IIRC. Drop after that maybe 2 PSI ?

Even if an injector had a weak spring, I guess since the intake or exhaust valve opens on downstroke, there wouldn't be enough vacuum being pulled on a given cylinder to pull fuel through an injector with a weak spring.

> I suppose the ecu could screw up and allow some injector open time during > deceleration ... > but it would do it to all of them as the ECU just sees the injector as one > big four-part injector.

Good to know.

> My hunch is 'this path' about the ecu and decel operation being wonky > .........is not it .

Ya it's a long shot I know. I just can't figure what is causing the surging.

I need to put more study into the relationship and wiring between the idle stabilization module, ECU, throttle switch etc. Something must be hinky there.

Neil.

> On 7/27/2012 1:35 PM, neil n wrote: >

>... Am still tracking > down a surging issue. ..... > (Throttle switch test showed a nice square wave btw). He also kindly gave me a > brief tutorial on the Vantage. FWIW, this Vantage (4.0) has a > "Vanagon" section in it. > >... he connected the Vantage > to an injector wire, revved engine to 3K RPM, dropped the throttle. > Meter graphed brief no voltage to that fuel injector wire, then > voltage resumed. So that's good. ECU obviously stopped the FI pulse, > then started it back up at idle. But that was one injector. > > In deceleration mode, is there one controller (my term) in ECU that > turns off fuel to ALL injectors at the same time? Or, is there > separate controller for each injector? > > On the 2.1, do all FI's pulse open at same time? (batch?) or in pairs? > e.g. 1, 4 3, 2 > > In other words, was this test of one injector sufficient? > > I have to wonder if there's a fault in the wiring or ECU that allows a > fuel injector to pulse open in deceleration mode.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines