Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:59:36 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [F] Overnight mooring charges are per foot of boat. How about
              camoing charges in relation to size?

Many of us don't call it camping. We call it RVing.

Something to consider, when we show up at a camping area all we need is space. Of course we like more such as a nice open space maybe with a picnic table and BBQ or fire pit. Hookups, (electric, water, sewer, cable, internet, etc.), are a great benefit and we often have to pay extra either for the site that is equipped or if we choose to use them. At West River Westy's I was even charged an extra $4.00/night to use the AC. However especially for public lands if those things don’t exist no problem. No for the tenting public these areas need restroom and shower facilities. If the rates are low enough than the transient/homeless/work camp crowd moves in. For longer stays laundry and even convenience stores become needed. Security becomes more of an issue both for predatory people and animals etc.

Now for resort or private camping things can get real expensive. Disney Fort Wilderness can get to $100/night easy.

Dennis

Most campgrounds I have been at make some distinctions. You pay more if you want water. More if you want electricity (hydro in canadian parlance). And some will give you a discount if you are in a "primitive" site.

I question whether those behemoths should be considered 'camping'. I draw the line at in door rest rooms :).

Sent from my iPad