Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:46:15 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Bay Wiring Harness: Heat Damage? PIC
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote:

> > See if those dark marks don't match the contour of the black rubber > grommets. I'm still going for plasticisers in the harness cover leaching > plasticiser/whatever out of the grommets. As an experiment, set a clothes > iron on low and see what happens if you overheat a bit of that cover. I'm > betting you'll see it melt and flow rather than blacken.

>> I guess it can't hurt to double check the FI wires as they show >> a little heat damage too. > > > Neil, if the wires had gotten hot you'd see melting, not browning. They're > ordinary vinyl-covered wires and they'll melt and stick together long before > they get brown.

Ah ok. I see what you mean. Both sides of the cover are the same colour. Grommet material must've leached past the grey cover and into a fuel injector wire casing.

>> The wires to the B+ post inside the junction box looked OK but a fuse >> sounds like a good idea. > > > They're fine, plenty big, no problem at all - until you get a short. At > that point you've just connected the battery to ground through whatever > little wire in the harness got shorted to ground. Since everything as far > as that B+ post is honking big, guess which part smokes and melts the whole > harness together...

For sure. I get it. :)

Maybe the nut on the stud can vibrate loose? Or other wires rub on stud end, get down to copper, "fzzzzap" ?

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines