Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:55:50 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Canvas replacement comments & video

I’ve completely restored my top, including repainting with an automotive paint, and purchased the acrylic canvas from Van-Café. This is a great product! It’s thicker than the OEM cotton, which I did not want to use here in the wet Northwest. Three windows and large zippers with large pulls, and fits perfectly.

I looked for other acrylic canvas options, but all were out of stock. The fellow in Canada mentioned in an earlier post has Sunbrella in multiple colors, but has a minimum six month backlog to fill before he’d even consider taking orders.

If you want it now and want acrylic, Van-Café is a great choice, assuming they still have them in stock!

Be sure to check out this video of a professional installing a new canvas at a campground (trained stunt upholsterer, don’t try this yourself): http://vimeo.com/12165017

I took my top off because of all the work I was doing on it, and I’m not flexible enough to get those upper screws in like he did! I used blue masking tape to hold the canvas up out of the way when we put it back on. The bottom wasn’t too difficult once the back edge was done, and clipping the corner bead is a big help.

I’m very pleased with the finished product. I started with a mold infested dirty top and rotted canvas, and now have a freshly cleaned and painted top with a new canvas, new seal, stainless steel fasteners (including the skylight hinges and luggage tie downs), and gas springs.

Four different suppliers: GoWesty for the SS bits and Westy logos, Bus Depot for their excellent seal kit, Van-Café for the canvas, and Jack Bombay for the gas springs. What a difference, and it’s much better than a similar set up my EVC had!

Stuart

’85 Westy