Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:32:21 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter/relay/switch problem
Comments: To: ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET

I chased that same demon for a few years. Replaced starter and various batteries, etc. Turned out the problem was old wiring. I replaced the biggish (though not big enough) wire from the battery to the strater. All (seemingly) good now.

Karl Wolz

_____

Hi All; What's that Roseanna Anna Danna's dad used to say, It's Always Something.

Camper won't start. Noticed a delay a few (intermittant) times when starting over a few weeks. Turn the key, just a moment or two of hesitation, then start. Then once it wouldn't start so I pushed it, jumped in and popped the clutch, and it started and then no problem for a few weeks. Went out this AM and no start. Lights and bells fine. Starter gave no signs of getting tired. I would like to try to electrically "jump" the starter to see if it is broke (I don't think so), but havn't done that in a long time and would like a refresher from anyone out there who has done this recently. Any other diagnostic hints would also be helpful. I have a VW inline 4 in there, and the starter is somewhat accessable. Same type starter as waterboxer. I am also facing downhill in a pull in parking spot so jumpstarting with a push is not an option (unless I get someone to pull me out of this parking spot).

Dave B. _____