Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 29 Jul 2012 08:04:10 -0700
From:   Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   Re: Rear Axle Nut ~Man that's big!!

At 7/28/2012 10:58 PM,Rob wrote:

>http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200390670_200390670 >for the 46mm socket if a tool rental place or neighbor does not have one.

I'd used the striker tool for the axle nut on many occasions & still have both sizes. That tool has zero stand off from the nut, so the hammer swinging & cheater bar location and where the body of the van is are a care that has to be watched. The last time I went to take the nut off my '84 Vanagon the flat tool was a bit worn & the nut really liked it there. To be honest I was a bit uncomfortable swinging that 5# hammer at a flat that was that close to the body of to van & the tool was worn enough that it would slip off with a 6' cheater bar. I ended up getting it to move with propane heat & an airgun. That's when I bought the 46mm socket. I already had a 3/4 drive bar from an earlier project with a big nut on a Honda. The socket-bar-cheater work really well, they stand out far enough away from the body that I can 'help' with my 5# hammer when needed & the bar clears the body. The socket makes it easier to torque the nut too just because of the clearance issue.

FWIW my 3/4 drive bar is Craftsman from Sears... just in case I break it on the next nut I have to do <g>.

Rob vwrobb@gmail.com Currently in WA state OTRA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com