Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jul 2012 00:56:55 -0400
From:         Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tires - Yokohama Y370 195R14 - Progress Report

Brief Report: GREAT traction in wet grass, shallow mud, and sand. POOR reaction in heavy winds at 100 km/hour on the highway. QUIET, comfortable ride.

-excellent success getting down a muddy hill and back up the grassy patch next to it. Both slopes were wet. Hesitate to estimate the slope as I didn't try to figure it out while I was there; but it was enough to knock me off my mountain bike when I didn't give it respect, so maybe 12%. (About as steep as Bell School Line access up the escarpment, but not as steep as the Appleby Line switchback, in the Milton, Ontario area.)

-poor success in strong cross-winds and head-winds. We experienced lots of van motion; but don't have any wind-speed numbers to quantify the challenge. Sure seemed windy, wha! Would like to know just how strong the winds actually were -- anyone know how to find this info for Thursday, July 26, from Cobourg to Ottawa, Ontario.

-quiet and comfortable -- IE not noisey enough to be heard over the engine and wind noise (even with the windows shut. And with the windows open in 34C heat, forget about talking at highway speeds.)

gab 86 Westy, Miss Betty still rolling.