Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:58:07 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Carburettor Set Weber 44 IDF VW Wasserboxer 2,1
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

Airplanes - piston types and jets - have combustion air heaters to pre-heat the air to remove/prevent ice formation inside the throat of the carb/turbine. A short story about this kind of ice.

Once in Alaska, while on a trip as co-pilot in a Skyvan, was at 12,000 ft over the Cook Inlet and coming home to Anchorage. Had been cleared to the Anchorage VORTAC for a hold outside Anchorage prior to landing and began decent. We were in the tops of clouds and began picking ice, and it would get worse as we descended through it to below the freezing level. The captain reached over and flipped both smile heaters switches to the solenoid valves that routed heat from the turbine compressor sections into the stainless plenum around the air intake of the engines. Those plenums were coated with ice. The instant that ice melted that slug of water went directly into the engine and snuffed out the flame in both engines. At 12,000 feet both engines had quit. We suddenly became a very heavy glider with a pee-poor glide ratio. WE were out of 7000 feet and nearing 6000 and descending fast before we managed to get the engines started again. Scared the bejeebers out of us. Everything was OK after that, except for the seat of our pants and the cones in the captains and co-pilots seats. An official change in operating procedures followed, along with some pilot training - Only one smile heat switch at a time was to be turned on to eliminate dual engine failure.

Carb ice works the same way. Turn on a carb heater on a piston aircraft - the engine will run rough until it swallows all that water from the melting ice. Pilots learn to tickle the carb heat, so the ice goes away slowly, otherwise the engine may quit.

Same goes on these carbs. But with no Carb air heaters, they can be a major PITA in wet, cold air. Ice can build in the throat of the carb and simply choke off the combustion air.

It's all about Bernoulli's Principle. Carb has a venturi, venturi's drop the pressure, increase the air flow speed and drop the temperature. If weather is cool and moist, heck -even warm and moist - if the temp in the throat of the carb goes below freezing, whatever moisture is in the air will begin to plate out as ice in the carburetor. Thus the need for a carb air heater of some sort.

John

On 7/31/2012 8:12 AM, Tom Hargrave wrote: > Frost on the outside = frost & ice on the inside and this causes serious > issues with carburetor performance. > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > www.stir-plate.com > www.towercooler.com > www.kegkits.com > www.grow-sun.com > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of > Hector Zapata > Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:26 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Carburettor Set Weber 44 IDF VW Wasserboxer 2,1 > > On 7/30/12, JRodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com> wrote: >> These carbs don't have carb air heaters, and are subject to icing when >> conditions are right. Makes operation in nasty weather that much more >> miserable. >> >> John > > I thought that was considered good for the mixture. Thirty-something years > ago I met a mechanic who was very proud of the way he adjusted carburators, > they frosted at idle, 80º weather... > > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2437/5166 - Release Date: 07/30/12 >