Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:49:11 -0600
From:         Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@ONEBEAM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator gasket and flame goes out remedies
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

I have some new information. I tried different settings of dial C, the gas level, from min to max. While doing this, I discovered I can keep the flame going by continuing to pump on the air pump (A) while holding the by-pass (B) in. Then, doing that repeatedly, seeing what would cause it to shut off, I found that I could release B and it would stay light. When I stopped pumping, the rumble of the flame would diminish, so I would pump more and it would come back.

The odd thing (or, more odd) is that a couple of times the flame acted like normal, it started and I could see the flame in the window, and the LED on the panel lit up. This would happen within a few seconds of the normal flame. Then, the flame went away and I heard the rumble.

Is the flame burning in the wrong place? Burning inside the exhaust pipe instead of down in the burn box? I tried playing with the level (C) to see if perhaps there is too much gas pressure, and it's preventing enough oxygen from getting in. I couldn't find a level that would keep it going in the normal flame appearance mode. It rumbles in the pipe as long as I keep pumping. When I stop pumping, it will rumble on for a minute or two, then there's a click and it goes off (or it goes off first... seems simultaneous).

Maybe the thermostat is okay and the flame is in the wrong place. When I took the burn box back together, I put the pipe that comes off the gas nozzle so that the slots in it are up (when the fridge is standing upright). I assume the flame burns in those slots, where the gas going through the pipe meets the air in the box.

I have built a manometer and checked the pressure out of the propane tank regulator and set it correctly.

-- ==Leonard