Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:40:54 -0400
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Aluminum Valve Covers
Comments: To: Bill M <billmonk@gmail.com>

OK so I've installed the GoWesty aluminum valve covers. Here's what I found:

The gasket seat on the covers had some untrimmed casting(?) artifacts consisting of circular dimples with raised metal around part of their circumference. This is likely the cause of reported leaks. I de-burred them with a dremel tool and installed them.

The bail is very beefy and is either chromed or stainless steel and slides up a ramp like structure built into the cover. Very nice tight fit. There are also cooling fins on these covers which may be a good heat exchanger.

I've done some serious driving since installing them with no sign of oil getting past the gaskets.

These covers are actually less expensive than the OEM steel ones that GoWesty also carries. They look very much at home on the 2.1L stock engine.

John Meeks '91 Vanagon MV Phoenix Northern Michigan

Vanagon Rescue Squad www.vanagonauts.com