Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2012 12:13:31 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator gasket and flame goes out remedies
Comments: To: Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@ONEBEAM.NET>

Flame going out after a few minutes usually is a draft or fresh air problem. With the fridge out to test it you have to have the outer flue cover pieces assembled. Otherwise the exhaust will get sucked back into the fresh air inlet and the flame will go out due to lack of oxygen. The silicone should be able to seal the box. As it off gasses it will put out the flame until it is really completely cured.

Dennis

Hi,

I have the Dometic 182 refrigerator out of my Westy and I'm trying to address the problem in that it won't stay lit. Spark is okay. Ignites. After minutes, the flame goes out.

There was a bug in the burn box, but it was just a loose bug, not plugging any holes.

The thermocouple wire insulation is frayed at the point where it makes a bend to the burn box. Looks like the wire is intact. Maybe I should replace it. How can I test it on a bench? Can I power the fridge on 110v and use water to test it or does that risk damaging the thermocouple sensor, especially since there is fraying.

I'm also doing whatever I can to help it to work better. I've done the air pump modifications, drilling the hole out and adding the one-way valve. I've also replaced the back-side fin fan with the Go Westy box fan.

The gasket (the one with the six screws through it) on the burn box had cracks. I've used Ultra Copper high-temp silicone to REPLACE the gasket. Now I just re-read a site that suggests the silicone be used ON the old gasket. My first QUESTION is, did I screw up? I thought that the silicone is a gasket MAKER, not a sealant. Do I need to put the old gasket in WITH the sealant on both sides of it?

My other QUESTIONS are regarding the troubleshooting of this problem from the Dometic Service Manual (RM182B Edition 2, August 1982). The chart on p. 10 relates possible causes referring to parts that I don't have an ID for.

The "safety valve" is connected to the button you hold in while lighting, right? It has a "valve magnet"? How can I troubleshoot this?

Where is there "gauze in the burner head"? When I took the burn box apart, there's a tube with slots in one end, which is where I assume the flame is. Is there supposed to be gauze in that tube?

Where is the "By-pass flame"?

Thanks for your help!

-- ==Leonard