Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:11:11 -0700
From:         Dake Collins <wuwe423@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Great Eastern American/Canadian Road Trip
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

Craig, When I'm not on the road I live in Liberty, Maine. Westy's and their human caretakers

are always welcome. I've got a beautiful spot in the woods and on the water; over the years a few list members have visited - no complaints yet. As for places to visit in Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia - I've just returned from a

three week meander. I didn't make it to PEI, but as Roger suggested the bridge to PEI, tour around and the ferry back is not to be missed.

We meandered the coast of Maine to Lubec, crossed into Canada at Campobello, ferry to Dee Island, ferry to mainland NB, along the coast to NS and up to and around the Cabot Trail and a similar rout back to Maine. About 2000 miles in three weeks, avoided the highways as much as possible, but a few miles were unavoidable. We had a 35 mile stretch of gravel road in NS, including a 5 mile stretch on a single lane dirt road (we'd have had a major problem had we met a car coming the other way). We spent a very few nights in National & Provincial Parks; only one was a disappointment. We spent three nights (intended to stay one) in a private campground in Murphy's Cove, NS - outstanding, highly recommended.

Most nights we found free and beautiful, waterfront places to stay. Of all our nights boondocking only one wasn't on the water. We never got hassled, in fact we were welcomed and encouraged to stay longer. good time I may go back again this fall and certainly next summer.

I had such a great time I might not wait for next year for a return visit.

Contact me if you'll be in the area or if I can provide more information.

Dake

________________________________ From: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:54 AM Subject: Great Eastern American/Canadian Road Trip

Several years ago I posted to this list that i was heading out to Nevada for a summer, and looking for cool people and places to meet in between. The result was amazing, driveways to camp in, amazing suggestions, and some now well established friendships that have stood the tests of time. Due to constantly adjusting life situations, I have some time on my hands. Starting August 17th, I finish up work in Rye NY with a fully loaded Sunroof Syncro with full westy interior, bostig engine, solar panels, and hopefully fridge...... but not much of any destination. I want to spend some of my hard earned money and trek around the north east, hopefully heading into canada for at least a chunk of it. Two to five weeks is the plan. Does anyone have any suggestions of wonderful sights or experiences in the NH, Maine, VT areas? Nova Scotia? Newfounland? Etc. Does anyone live in these areas with a driveway that can occupy a transient traveler overnight?

Thanks again for all the support on my many adventures over the years. By the time this trip is done, i'll be able to say I made it through more than half the states in a VW bus (But all the states by other means).

-Craig Cowan '87 SUNROOF Syncro Westy '90 GL '85 Residence