Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:35:21 -0700
From:         David Vickery <david_vickery@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Larger wheels and spare holder

If no one else mentioned it, here is an easy way to get a little more clearance for the tire.  The limiting factor is the frame rails that the tire fits up between. Lots of people manage to fit the BFG AT KO 215/75-15 tire which is 27.7" diameter. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_348_129/oversized_spare_tire_carrier.html   If you don't like the vancafe carrier it is possible to modify the stock clamshell to drop it down below the frame rail that the tire then rests on.  Kind of a hassle though if you don't need protection on the tire for offroading.   I have a 225/70-14 that is around 26.5" diameter and it fit into the 87 clamshell no problem after removing the retaining bars. Dave On 8/11/2012 9:10 AM, Harry Hoffman wrote: > > Hi All, > So I'm planning a move to 17" wheels. I'd like to carry a full spare.