Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:20:21 -0600
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: US Plastic was
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Aug 9, 2012, at 10:08 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote:

The bins themselves are great, but the lids a) aren't waterproof and b) take an awful set (sag) if you put even moderate loads on top for any length of time. They look as though they'd stack, but the tops won't stand it. Doesn't make them useless, but cramps their style.

Certain cat food and cat litter come in rectangular plastic buckets with bails and hinged lids. Don't know if they'd stow under a Westy seat (my White Star seat/bed is definitely lower than the Westy, the small PortaPotti won't fit under it) but they're easy to carry, they snap-seal, and they nest (empty) if you take the lids off.

The Sterilites I have stack real well. I stow them stacked most trips, just behind the driver seat walk-thru, next to the porta potty. All 3 slide under the extended bed (but not all at the same time, so at nite the storage bins are shoved under the bed. The lid snaps onto the bin so it makes a water proof and mouse proof barrier. So far, so good.

I read here that several volks have been using the cat litter containers for tools 'n other stuff, to stow under the bench. I took a look at those while at the market but already have a plastic tub under the bench, that I put all my tools in, so they're fairly organized, all in one place, easy to access.

bob