Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:16:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: US Plastic was

I like to make my own boxes to fit the purpose and space. While the Rubbermaid containers are certainly really easy to just go buy at some big box store, they really aren't very attractive and they aren't strong enough to walk on or stand on, really. And of course, they only come in standard sizes which never seem to be a perfect fit for my needs... For instance, the box I made to contain my portopot also is sized to just go under the rear seat as a support and also serve as a seat and a step to access a roof rack when I need that. The one I made to fit between my front seats, that one is made to leave room for the brake handle to be used and for it's own lid to be slid down beside the passenger seat when I want access to the inside....where I sometimes stash my full coffee pot in the morning as I begin my daily travels...and my coffee creamer, etc.

I also have a couple of nice sturdy tool chests of baltic birch and teak for my job tools that are sized to fit just right, behind the upright rear seat.

One more recent and handy addition to my van that I haven't added to my web photos below (some pics of the boxes I mention in that web album) is: I often have to load long boards, both construction lumber and sailboards, into my van. I cut a piece of (4"?) PVC drain pipe to fit down over the top of the rear seatback....it slips down over the cushion and protects the upholstery as well as allows the items being loaded to slide in easily over the seat back....When not in use, it just slips off for storage under or behind the seat...

Don Hanson

https://picasaweb.google.com/112899774170781374478/VanagonMods?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnj78ukqaPufw

https://picasaweb.google.com/112899774170781374478/SomeShopIdeas?authkey=Gv1sRgCOWej_mdvuX7jAE#5620312428480649122