Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:43:35 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Great Eastern American/Canadian Road Trip

Craig, for all that I live in NL and think it's a great place, if you have max five weeks and you're starting in NY, I think it's too far unless you want to do an awful lot of driving. I spent three weeks on the island my first time here - took the ferry to Argentia, then headed to St. John's, then worked my way west, then south down the peninsula to where you get the ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon (part of France, so you can include Europe on your trip to NL), then out to Gros Morne (wonderful park, world heritage site), up to the end of the northern Peninsula (only proven Viking site in N. America), the ferry across the Labrador, and down to the end of the road and the museum where the Basque fishing boat was found. Then back to NL, down to Port-aux-Basques to the other ferry back to Nova Scotia. Three weeks was definitely not enough to cover that much ground! And unless you're in a hurry, it's definitely a week to North Sydney, where the ferry leaves from Cape Breton.

If you don't want to try to do Newfoundland, though, DO go to Cape Breton and work your way around the national park - it is beautiful. Louisbourg Fortress, also in Cape Breton, is really interesting (and in fact, Greg Potts, who recently got stuck in Sydney on a work trip, was there last week). I haven't been to the western part of Nova Scotia, aside from a brief stop in Halifax once, but the Annapolis valley is supposed to be beautiful. The north shore of Nova Scotia is not particularly exciting, but the water is warm, so you can swim in the beaches. (You can't swim in Newfoundland, except in ponds - water is too cold. We kayak in drysuits year round.)

I did do the loop through PEI - ferry one way, bridge the other. PEI is very mild and gentle compared to Cape Breton, and even more so compared to Newfoundland. It's pretty, and great beaches, but I found Cape Breton & Newfoundland visually much more interesting. If you're interested in festivals and the like, make sure you check the calendars of events first. The Newfoundland and Labrador folk festival, which is a great event, was last weekend, and the George St. festival, which I avoid, the weekend before.

But if you choose to ignore my advice and you come to St. John's, please DO get in touch with me! I've been seeing your posts forever, it would be great to get together. I can't exactly offer a place to stay, alas, as I live right downtown, only street parking, and my street is too steep for you to want to camp in your van on it. Also pretty much no spare parking on my street these days. And my guest bedroom is kind of a bed-less store room (with all the stuff I pulled out of my van when I sold it!).

George Street is just down the hill from me. Lots of good local music in the bars (generally Irish-inspired), though I never go there as I'm rather less interested in beer than most Newfoundlanders. Unfortunately there is more violence here than in the past - I suspect it takes more the form of drunks beating their wives and drug addicts holding up convenience shops (a lot of that), than anything you see in Republic of Doyle.

If you do think to head here, there is a pretty crazy art event the weekend of the 25th, the 24-hour art marathon. Lots of fun. And do get in touch!

Joy