Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:47:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about removing fuel tank
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

great idea. I'll try it sometime. thnx. On 8/11/2012 3:12 PM, Larry Alofs wrote: > That tube across the top is there to equalize things as you fill the > tank. Otherwise there would be a lot of air trapped in the top part > of the tank on the driver's side with no where to go but the expansion > tank. That annoying tube lets that air get over to the passenger side > and get out thru the tube beside the filler pipe. > > Maybe no one else believes me, but I don't think that it needs to be a > straight hard tube. About 3 years ago I decided to try a longer, > flexible hose that can go *below* the coolant pipes, etc. This way it > can all be connected to the tank before the tank is moved into > position and the hardest part of the job is eliminated. My hose is > routed part way toward the front of the tank and dips down into the > "groove". Rotating the plastic fittings that it attaches to by 30 or > 40 degrees will help aim it that way. If you try this, you should > look above the tank from the rear when installing it to be sure the > hose will not be rubbed by the parking brake cable or anything else > that moves. Re-position with a long stick if necessary. I have had > no problems with this set-up. > > Larry A. > > > On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> Sure wish there was .. >> that vent line across the top goes over two coolant pipes and the >> parking brake cable.. >> so it's always ..lower tank some, undo some things, >> low some more, undo some more things. >> Real pain that way. >> >> I have wondered though why that 1/2 inch or so plastic pipe joining the >> two outer vent ports even needs to be there. >> One of these days I'll try a tank without that pipe joining the side. >> That would help to make it more straightforward out and back in. >> >> more or less though ...no mater how you do the tank R & R it's just >> kinda a PIA . >> >> scott >> www.turbovans.com >> >> On 8/11/2012 7:38 AM, Jim Felder wrote: >>> My 2.1 2WD has a dirty fuel tank. So dirty, in fact, that when I pull the >>> rubber hose off of the pump, little or nothing comes out without some >>> compressed air going into the filler tube. >>> >>> The car does not have any other leaking issue. In saying that, I mean that >>> the upper pipe, hoses and seals are not being a problem. >>> >>> My question is (because I have never done this before on a vanagon) is >>> there a shortcut to pulling and replacing the tank that doesn't involve >>> dealing with all that stuff on top of the tank? >>> >>> I plan to get the tank out and in the driveway where I can use a pressure >>> washer to remove the crud. Any tips on that will be appreciated as well. >>> >>> Jim >>>