Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:43:28 -0400
From:         turbowesty <turbowesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Electrical Gauges (was: Gauge Mounting Options)
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Thanks for the pro/con comparison for electrical vs mechanical David.

For fluid measurement I view the mechanical as adding a potential failure point and that is contrary to the way I want things. Oil and coolant sensors will be electrical. I will try to get "reasonable" accuracy and value consistency even more. Your comment about how digital displays aren't as easy to scan is along the same lines; the needles are visual clues that things are where they should be or that something is off. As long as it's consistently in the same place the visual clue is good.

I found these listed in the archives as good choices (posted by David Etter) and I see all of them are available on CIP1.ca: 1x # 350-040 VDO electric Oil Pressure gauge 1x #360-006 Dual contact VDO oil press. Sender M10, install in place of existing sender on head 1 x #310-106 Oil Temp Gauge 300 Deg 1 x #323-423 300 Deg Oil Temp sender M10 This does not look like as straight forward to install though. I gather it should go in where the existing high pressure sender is by the oil filter and that to keep the existing sender requires some "creativity" (adding in a T adapter at one of the two sender locations).

Electrical coolant temp sender + gauge: still researching those but the "stock" coolant sender is less than 2 years old and still working fine. Haven't found what the VDO part for that is yet… suggestions?

Regards, Peter Kraiker nextchapter.kraikerphoto.com Toronto, ON, Canada '82 L Westfalia 1.9 TD 5 Spd (Babe)