Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Aug 2012 01:28:39 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: windshield wiper repair
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

At 10:40 PM 8/17/2012, Alistair Bell wrote: >I want to add to this excellent description, maybe differing a bit...

Awww...I was hoping you'd go a little into how to actually find the darn center in the first place. And how to walk a punch mark sideways. ;-)

>I'd use a fine prick punch to mark the hole, then if you want punch >again with 60 degree point pu[n]ch.

Good point (no pun intended). But on the shaft we're talking about, it's probably only held up by an E-clip, so we can't bang on it very hard without injuring something; so we can't make a big hefty center-pop with a hammer since we can't reach the back of the shaft to back it up with a weight. The fine punch wants a small hammer (8-oz or less ideally, I think), and a spring-loaded automatic center punch may be safer for increasing the size.

> Then as Bill Monk has said, use a small (1/16") drill to enlarge > punch divot. The small flexible drill does a better job in this > case than a centre or spotting drill.

Yes, I agree. Keep the center drill in the tool room. It's actually quite unforgiving with its little stiff point and rigid body.

> You do not need to drill very deeply with the 1/16" bit, just make > the punch mark a hole. Then go on to the 1/8" bit and follow with > tap drill size.

I still like the 1/8" pilot point bit. Probably can start right from the beginning with it, the pilot makes it disinclined to wander whilst drilling, and it's still quite flexible (but not as fragile as a 1/16" bit). I haven't measured the pilot but it's pretty small.

>Tapping the hole in situ is tricky. Hard to keep tap perfectly >aligned, as is it is hard to keep drill bit aligned.

And of course whilst the drill bit will flex a bit, the tap is practically glass hard and won't. Which is why you use a proper tap handle or die stock that lets you pull from both sides of the tap, as you're much less likely to break it off short that way. Don't use a tee-type handle with its crossbar stuck out to one side, balance it.

Starting the tap is the trickiest part, that part you use a drill press or other solid jig for if at all possible. Getting the first few partial threads to bite at all, and precisely straight in, can be very difficult; and whatever angle it starts at it will continue until the job is finished or it finally gets an impossibly large bite of the wall, jams and breaks off.

>All in all, I'd say it is a tricky job to get a good tapped hole in shaft.

Amen, brother.

Yours, David