Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:25:35 -0500
From:         Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Bostig Installed (a report of sorts)

A month later than originally intended, the Zetec is installed in Olly. The delay was due to hold-ups on Bostig's end, but to be fair, I had quite aggressively high expectations about the timing of the project. When I expressed my frustration to Jim about the teasingly slow trickle of parts, he was quite apologetic about the whole situation, and from then on Nate then kept me posted with progress updates. Unfortunately, my summer travel plans revolved around a completed engine conversion and a deadline, and so therefore fell through.

Even if Bostig had shipped out on their timetable, I realize I probably would have been pressed to complete all aspects of the install in just under three weeks. It wouldn't have been impossible, but converting an engine is a Very Big Thing, and even in as well documented a system as the Bostig, there's going to be some quirkiness that varies from vehicle to vehicle that just needs to be worked through. And that doesn't include rework when you fuck things up due to your own personal level of ineptitude. Mine wasn't terribly high, but sufficient to keep things interesting. Like when I over-torqued one of the transmission mount bolts. My advice is to avoid doing that.

Another factor that slowed progress is that I did the conversion completely solo. For most of the process that's perfectly fine, though there are a couple of points when an extra pair of hands or eyes can be helpful. The real problem with working alone was that I had to be my own supervisor, which meant a lot of double or triple checking to make sure everything was right. None of the install is complicated, but I am not an auto mechanic by trade and I hate fixing things I should have gotten right the first go around. Since there was no one to catch my mistakes but me, I took my time.

And that's how it is supposed to be. Because let me say this: doing the Bostig conversion was tremendous fun. Okay, working in 100 degree Texas heat was not so much fun. And being covered with grease and grime was not particularly entertaining either. But that aside, the whole system is so so well designed that it was delightful to assemble and install. And when you turn the key (and it starts, after unsticking the injectors) it is pure joy. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Of course, that would involve buying another Vanagon, which isn't the worst idea I've ever had.

For what it's worth, driving the van is fun. It's got decent pick-up and drives 70 with power to spare. I admit that I'll miss the chugging sound of the boxer engine, but the Zetec definitely sounds confident and ready. And the engine's got just enough low rumble to let you know that while it may have been born in a Ford Focus, you should not mistake it for some wimpy girly motor that can't carry it's weight. It has found its place in a Vanagon.

There's still a handful of things to do. I've got some parts coming, including a brake booster line attachment, which will need installation. I'm still doing some road testing to make sure everything is in specification. Electrically, everything's fine. Fuel trims seem good. The cooling system is working, but is running much hotter (210-225 degrees F) than the WBX did, so my stock gauge and idiot coolant level light are quite angry. I know there's some air that still can be bled out of the system, which should help bring the temps down slightly. And I didn't switch the radiator send and return lines as Bostig recommends. Jim says that shouldn't be a problem, and has even assured me that my temp ranges are fine, but I'd still like to see what I can do to cool things down. In any case, I definitely need to examine the gauge and temp sender, as right now they're effectively useless. Eventually I've got to find an A/C guy who can make some new lines. Things to do, but they will get done.

Originally I thought I'd drop the Zetec into the van in a weekend, tune it up, and then roar off to the mountains of Colorado. That didn't happen. I didn't get the vacation I wanted this summer, but I did get the van I wanted. There will be more summers (and Texas autumns, winters, and best of all, springs). I'm quite confident that when those seasons arrive, Olly will be up to the task of taking me to the places I want to go.

-Jarrett Olly: '89 Westy with 2.0L Zetec