Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:57:01 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic failure on propane, one time
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

At 10:02 AM 8/15/2012, Dave Mcneely wrote: >What down time would you suggest is reasonable for switching? When >I follow the fifteen minute rule, the fridge seems

If you really insist on flipping back and forth, instead of just running the fire continuously as 90% (figure pulled out of my hat) of Volks do and the fridge was designed for* and VW/Westfalia were perfectly happy with until some corporate lawyer in charge of preempting lawsuits above all else came along and stamped "Dry clean only" on your manual - do as I did and open up the outer door in way of the control panel so you can reach things without opening it. That will leave the upper rim of the door rather thin so you'll want to rout out two windows with a pillar in the middle. That's the benefit of hindsight - I put in a dowel to support the middle.

*I seriously contend that there is *no* measurable increment of safety gained by not using the flame underway *unless* the external supply valve is closed. If the valve is open, the significant danger is the exposed position and easy unlock of the stove knobs which can flood the van with propane. The open supply valve itself is of little-to-no consequence in an accident, since the POL spud attached to the regulator by which it attaches to the supply valve is of the type (is required to be of the type) known as "excess-flow." This opaque terminology means that if either the regulator is knocked off or its output tubing damaged and allowed to flow freely, an internal valve inside the POL spud will close and seal the tank. The fridge flame is sealed up in a heavy-gauge steel can with access only to the outside; and any conceivable leak in the flue system which might allow gas flowing from a stove burner to enter and ignite will only be a danger when the vehicle is stationary, because any wind will then blow the flame out. This last fact allows me to sincerely argue that operating the flame underway is the safest possible practice, since it will automatically detect any leaks in the flue system that could conceivably cause a danger while camping.

Yours, David