Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:39:59 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Fan Thermal Switch question
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@FRONTIER.COM>

AFAIK, Bostig programs the ECU to go into a low power limp mode when the cylinder head temp gets too hot. That may be what is happening to you.

There are lower temp radiator switches you can install. The stock 2.1 rad temp switch is what I would recommend. The original 1.9 switch lets the rad get too hot. There is an even colder one available but in warm climates it makes the fan run a heck of a lot and is annoying at the least. Us only Wahler or Behr brand temp switches!

Also it is simple to wire a manual switch to trigger high speed fan. However the 85 and older fuse box wiring is not really strong enough to support too much high speed operation of the radiator fan. Warning....

Mark

Jonce Fancher wrote: > Hi all > Just got back from a 2 Week Balls out drive outwest to 4 corners from > Michigan in the 85 Vanagon. > > Had a few issues in the HEAT of Texas and OK. > > The Rad Fan did not click on to it's HIGH speed. It did on the 1st > speed but not the 2nd. > > The Motor cut off ( Sorry it is a Zetec Bostig Conversion. 1st group > Conversion ) > > Seems the Brain located above the muffler ( heat shield in place ) > Seems the cut off over heat protection sensor on the motor cuts off > before the high speed on the fan kicks in, ( I THINK ). > Temps outside were about 102 to 106. It acted like the fuel pump was > over heating as well. Anyone ever have the Fuel Pump over heat. > I went ahead and swapped the fuel pump with my back up. ( which > didn't work. ( Love new stuff that does not work.)). Had to go into > town and find one. Swapped it and the issue continued. We wrapped the > Brain in heat shield and it seemed to make it a bit better but still > did it once or twice. > > Need to check the Fan and the sensor. Can I put a switch in to bypass > the Thermal switch OR is there a different switch with different temp > settings?? > I have no problem with a relay and switch install to control over heat. > I thought of installing a 2nd oil cooler ( which I have one on the > shelf with Fan ) But I think the extreme of the issue is the Brain is > located in the engine bay and the heat outside was HOT! But I do feel > the brain is cooking. > > Few other issues on the trip but mainly good fun. > > Jonce >