Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:28:11 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: windshield wiper repair  just musing this time
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

you're probably right, alistair. thanks for the thoughts.

---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Your wiper shaft lasted for at least 20 years. I bet it got no lubrication during its life apart from what if got at the factory. There is even a good chance the arm was never removed from the shaft. > > I'd say the design is pretty good in, as you describe it, "the real world". And what do you know Dave? There are brand new parts available so you can repair it. New parts Dave, think of it, for a vehicle that has not been in production (apart from SA) for 21 years. > > I bet you wouldn't be so chagrined about the wiper shaft if replacement was easy and the part was cheap. > > And your idea of a more secure way of affixing wiper arm to shaft? Think about it, wouldn't you want a way of allowing the wiper motor to turn even if wipers were frozen to the glass? Burn out the motor and/or fuse or reset arm on shaft (cleaning out pot metal from splines)? > > alistair > > > > > On 2012-08-19, at 12:00 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >>> > > > > You know, this seems to be one of those devices where some engineer built something he liked, but isn't that great in the real world. Why is the wiper assembly not made so that the motor drives a shaft that terminates with a hex fitting, and the wiper arm has a matching opening? The wiper arm could be secured with a nut just as now, but with a more secure setup. I know that shoulders can wear off, but this thing is, so far as my feeble analytical skills indicate, ridiculous. I have had no occasion to attempt to repair a wiper arm/shaft assembly on any other vehicle, so for all I know, all are like this, but good grief. Just sayin. .......... . > > > > I know, more finely honed technical skills would have made the repair go better, but ........... . > > > > mcneely >

-- David McNeely