Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:31:54 -0500
From:         WELLHOUSE MAX <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Good fuel filter arrangement?
Comments: To: Bill Witz <pbwitz@sbcglobal.net>

I went retro on my 90 GL wit ha mostly stock engine. I wanted the fuel pump to never see any rust from the tank or grunge from bad gas or vandals putting something in the tank that wasn't spozed to be in thee. I found a Wix metal(part number escapes me right now) filter at my local parts place and it works fine as a prefilter. Obviously I use the factory metal filter after the pump as well. I added a "gas shut off valve" upstream of the Wix filter in the line to make the filte chaning a lot less"fluid". It also doubles as a interesting theft deterrent should I park in a dicey neighborhood on occasion. I simply turn off the gas valve and if the would be theif runs off with my van, he or she will get maybe a 1/2 mile or less before the engine staves itself of fuel and dies for no apparent reason. Yeah prolly a bit extreme, but effective.

DM&FS