Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:02:15 -0700
From:         Mark Carrig <stratmanx@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      85 vanagon roof repair - fiberglass and the holes

A few months ago I drove into the carport with the roof up. Ripped out the mounting bolts for the lift mechinism, destroyed the tent, etc.   Had the bus at the fiberglass repair place for two months. Long story short, the work wasnt up to what I would consider to be a pro level.   The issue I'm having is the bolt holes he drilled for attaching the lift mechinism appear to be 1/2" off from where they should be. This was noticed when trying to close and lock the top and it wouldnt do it.   So I removed the bolts, and closed the top and lined up the brackets and it appears I'll need to drill new holes 1/2" from where these are now.   I know this will weaken and rip thru so should I add two meal plates, one onto of the roof, the other inside with the proper bolt holes in, to sandwich the fiberglass top after I drill these new holes ?  Will that work properly ?   Bringing it back to the shop for him to "Correct" this is out of the question.   Thanks !