Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:55:24 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Leak Down Test
Comments: To: Finn Runyon <finnrunyon@GMAIL.COM>

re

I did hear leaking at the throttle body, and at the adjacent cylinder to the test.

On the face of it, that would imply a leaking intake valve, plus possible head gasket or head thing. what are the compression readings ?

Does it run at all ? If so, how well ? scott turbovans.com

On 8/20/2012 4:34 PM, Finn Runyon wrote: > Some may remember that I have an 87 Westy which I have had for 15 years, and a recently purchased 89 Westy that the previous owner overheated and oil migrated into the coolant, and there is a significant loss of power. Diagnosing what is exactly wrong with this engine was put on hold due to some family issues tis summer. Originally the list thought the oil cooler may have failed, which I replaced, and although there is no longer oil in the coolant, the power loss remains. I have checked the cat which you can see daylight through, and today did a leak down test with a borrowed tester. The short of it is that there is definitely leaking going on. I heard no leaking at the exhaust nor did I see any bubbling at the coolant reservoir. I did hear leaking at the throttle body, and at the adjacent cylinder to the test. Am I correct in reading this to mean cylinder head/gasket issues and perhaps leaking valves? I am still trying to get this engine running and would prefer not to rebuild the bottom end. > > Thanks, > Finn Runyon > 87 Westy Pooh > 89 Westy Roo