Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:56:00 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: semi-OT: questions about carrying a canoe
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

there is a rack that has a removable pin just for that.

On 8/20/2012 2:33 PM, Kim Brennan wrote: > That's going to depend on whether you have a poptop and whether you're going to want to open the poptop. Removing rain gutter attached bars so that you can open the poptop is inconvienent when on the road. > > > On Aug 20, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Jeff Palmer wrote: > >> On a related note :) >> If/when I get the kids excited about canoeing and load the boat on top of the Westfalia, is it generally recommended to use the bars that fit into the gutter, or to drill into the fibreglass and attach directly to the poptop? >> ThanksJeff >> >> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:12:00 -0700 >> From: albell@SHAW.CA >> Subject: Re: semi-OT: questions about carrying a canoe >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> >> no, not in that boat. >> >> mind you, it could be done. it is a nice canoe and paddles well. But I don't want to bump anything with it :) >> >> I'd borrow a kevlar for rivers. >> >> >> On 2012-08-20, at 8:04 AM, James Felder wrote: >> >>> No whitewater for you, then! >>> >>> : ) >>> >>> Jim >>> >>> >>> >>> On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Alistair Bell wrote: >>> >>>> fair enough Jim, I guess lightweight plastic boats are ok on sides but I still wont do it to my 18 ft cedar canvas :) >>>> >>>> alistair >>>> >>>> PS and no, my company does not make carbon fiber boats, just cellulose fiber ones :) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On 2012-08-20, at 7:49 AM, Jim Felder wrote: >>>> >>>>> We don't normally do it that way down here either, Alistair. But, the reason is because it is typically impractical (most people don't have the standup racks to even carry a canoe on its side on a cartop), not because it is in any way bad for the canoe. >>>>> >>>>> I went on a photo shoot a few years back with a bunch of carbon fiber Bells (any relation, Alistair?) and we put a kayak in the middle and a canoe on its side on each side of that on top of some kind of a toyota SUV, and >>>>> a kayak and one sideways canoe on my westy, because they would not both fit flat. Went all over the place. What I worried about most was the gunwale of the canoe digging in to my poptop, so I used swim pads to help with that. Those boats were fragile, being fiber, but very light. >>>>> >>>>> As the Executive Director of the Alabama Scenic River Trail, I help haul hundreds of boats a year around the state. The orientation of the boat has never been a problem as long as its is securely and competently fastened. >>>>> >>>>> Jim