Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:15:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic failure on propane, one time
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

At 01:37 PM 8/15/2012, Dave Mcneely wrote: >David, all your reasoning makes sense. One question about VW and >Westfalia's intentions regarding use (which either of us can only >infer from instructions given in published materials): If the >expectation was (and I include Dometic in the expectation, since it >is their machine) that the refrigerator run on gas underway, then >what is the D.C. mode there for?

Frankly I don't think they thought about it at all. They (Westfalia) asked Dometic for the smallest RV fridge ever made, and Dometic (who built the full-size gas fridge I grew up with in the summertimes, that was recalled for monoxide problems 25 years after the last one was built) built them one. Traditionally their (and I think all) RV fridges regardless of size are either AC/DC or AC/DC/Gas. The cost of the DC heater and changeover switch is practically nothing in context of the entire fridge, takes no additional space etc; whereas the gas setup adds considerably to cost and complexity. I'm willing to bet a nickel on spec. that the very first such fridge was a gas or kerosene domestic (and probably Dometic) unit that some user pasted an electric heater on to.

To me the value of the DC (or AC from an inverter) would come if you were in a situation where gasoline was readily available but LP was scarce and difficult to come by. In Scotland, for example, where my '84 spent its first seven years at a US Navy spy facility in Edzell (three miles from the Old Fettercairn distillery, if you like lowland malts) the only propane supply my sister and her husband knew about was a taxi company in Arbroath or some such, quite some distance away and with their filling facility on a steep driveway so you could never get even half a fill in the Westy's fore-and-aft mounted tank. Out in the thules somewhere I could see a situation where you wanted to squeeze out every single drop of LP while traveling.

>I always close the external valve when moving.

There's no question that that's incrementally safer given the stove knobs.

> And I wonder why the stove valves do not have a positive click > stop position for off, one that would resist any unintentional > opening of the valve. Seems only a reasonable precaution. But I'm > not an engineer, nor do I play one on T.V. (or in techno babble videos).

Engineering fail or specification fail. Everything about those valves is great for smooth and easy operation, and they do have a positive off position - you cannot turn them on without pushing them in first. But they're too easy to push even for small children, the knobs are too close to children given that fact, and they're not adequately protected from loads either entering through the side or sliding along. At sea they would be a disaster. And of course anyone can add a positive fail-safe by adding a fixture that slides a fork behind the hub of the knob so it can't be pushed in.

>Your idea of modifying the refrigerator door to expose the controls >is interesting. I have wondered why the controls were not made >accessible with the door closed.

Trying to remember whether the full-size Dometic in my brother's motorhome is built that way. It's a standalone unit with its own doors. On these guys the finish door was left up to Westfalia, so it was their call. A plywood door with two big rectangles routed out of it is more expensive and weaker than one without, and even with the vinyl edging I suspect it would look less elegant. The available dimensions are very small IIRC for making a door that completely misses that panel - not enough room for the nice radiused corners.

People with bigger units don't/don't have to spend all their time fooling with them. They have more stuff in them to keep the cold, and more room around the edges for decent insulation, and less surface area per volume, and if they're running off DC probably can do it for 24 hours without caring much. And they vent their operating heat to the outside. Our little guys are fighting against all the odds. I'll bet one major reason why Frank's new fridge works so much better and is bigger inside is the more recent research into high-efficiency insulation for home fridges and other applications. I don't know whether aerogels have made it down out of the price stratosphere yet, but I believe they're fantastic insulators. When you're building your marine reefer system these days (they're mostly all built into the vessel from scratch, at least for reasonable size cruising boats) if you're feeling fancy you can even get evacuated insulation panels that are built like a Dewar flask. Quite spendy, but not just for the ridiculously rich. Several hundred dollars a panel IIRC.

Yours, David