Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:59:47 -0400
From:         turbowesty <turbowesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: semi-OT: questions about carrying a canoe
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>

This really is becoming an interesting thread… Quality of rope is essential. I use climbing and parachute rope/cord which is very durable and easy to get secure knots with. The two I use to tie the hull onto the rack become bow and stern lines while the two longer ones for tying down the bow and stern to the vehicle become utility lines for hanging food or making clothes lines or rescues. Up here mec.ca sells bulk rope, I generally use 10mm but have a longer 3mm in with my stuff for emergencies and odd needs (for instance the Jetta we have doesn't have a convenient way to tie down the front so some small diameter cord goes into unused bolt holes on either side of the engine compartment to make small loops for the regular ropes while still allowing the hood to close).

I haven't installed racks on the Vanagon yet so I've been following this ail with interest.

Regards, Peter Kraiker nextchapter.kraikerphoto.com Toronto, ON, Canada '82 L Westfalia 1.9 TD 5 Spd (Babe)