Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:40:39 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Blower Fans
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:48 AM 8/16/2012, TJ Hannink wrote: >unit is 251 819 015 while the one for the A/C is 321 820 >015. Physically they look the same and they are both rated at 300 >watts. The only physical difference I can see is the electrical >connections. One online parts vendor told me no, they

Three hundred watts? As in 22 amps at 13.6 volts? Maybe if they're stalled and burning up, but I've measured several at about 150 watts running at max load (housing assembled, not installed in blower box)* at ~12.5 volts, so I'm not buying that as a running rating. In the 1.9l vans the heater blower shares a 16A fuse with the wipers and rear defrost, IIRC. Granted that circuit is overloaded and you can easily find it because it melts the fuse cover in that position, but an actual 300 W blower would blow that fuse all by itself.

*It's a centrifugal blower - like all centrifugal pumps it sheds load if either inlet or outlet are constricted, so merely mounting it in the blower box will unload it to some extent.

Yours, David