Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:27:37 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gauge Mounting Options
Comments: To: turbowesty <turbowesty@GMAIL.COM>

At 05:12 PM 8/16/2012, turbowesty wrote: >Some earlier threads have me exploring gauges (wow, there are too >many options for my feeble brain!).

One you may not have run across...Darrel Boehler of Digitool fame felt strongly that a cooling-system pressure gauge that would read between about +15 and -2 psig was a very important thing to have given our overcomplicated cooling systems. You should be able to find his arguments in the archive.

> I'll pick away at my questions by doing some research before > asking too many questions here (like why would I choose mechanical > rather than electrical,

Mechanical: Pro - no electricity needed. May be easier/cheaper to make accurate and/or mechanically robust against vibration. No big pressure-sender fittings sticking out of the engine to vibrate or be hard to find space for. Unlikely to wear out in any human lifetime subject to corrosion or really extreme vibration problems or overstress. Simpler to construct gauges with pointer travel greater than 90 degrees.

Con- there's a stiffish tube running to the gauge, either the capillary tube from the temp sender or an actual pipe in the case of oil or manifold pressure gauges, and one end is tied directly to the vibrating motor. Having that tube fail on an oil gauge could be a big problem, both evil mess and loss of engine oil. Temperature capillaries are metal; oil pressure either copper or nylon, each with its own advantages.

Electrical: Pro - flexible installation, only wires to run. Potentially flexible scale changing by changing sender and gauge face.

Con - at low end, more expensive than mechanical. Price for price, likely less accurate than mechanical. Pressure senders on automotive-type gauges are normally *in essence* a mechanical gauge connected to a fuel tank sender and are the size of a large toddler's fist and moderately heavy. Not a good idea to hang them off an engine on several inches of plumbing adapters; better to mount firmly with a tube to the pressure port if necessary.

> which are more accurate,

It's necessary here to distinguish between accurate and precise. Suppose an input of 20.00 units. A gauge that reads 27.43 every time on that input is extremely precise and repeatable, but very inaccurate; while one that reads all over the map between 17 and 23 is much less precise and dead on for accuracy.

Both mechanical and electrical gauges if well made should be pretty good for repeatability unless/until they start getting sticky. That's good news because repeatability may be more important than absolute accuracy in an automotive gauge.

An electrical gauge is unlikely to be rated better than +/- 3% *of full scale* for any given reading; hence the general rule with analog voltmeters to avoid readings in the bottom third of the scale. I believe that mechanical bourdon-tube movements can do better than that if you spend enough ("enough" might be quite a surprising figure - for example I'm pretty sure that a submarine bourdon-type pressure depth gauge with 300-degree rotation and a ten-inch face does considerably better than three per cent, and I'm not sure I want to know how much I paid for it). An electrical gauge working from a sender also has to account for the properties/characteristics/behaviors of the sender and its matching to the gauge.

Note: digital gauges and meters have different accuracy considerations. They are usually quoted as (+/-% of reading)+/-(so many least-significant-digits on the display) for a given set of conditions. Their basic accuracy is typically much better than analog gauges, but that doesn't mean that an automotive pressure sender hooked to one will give any more accurate results - and they're much harder to read quickly.

In my recollection, accuracy specs for automotive gauges may be found deep within the bowels of VDO etc. but otherwise on the same shelf with hens' teeth.

> do existing senders need to be replaced, and on and on)

Gauges and senders are matched to each other. For maximum accuracy an individual sender will be chosen and the gauge face hand-calibrated to match it for each increment of the scale. Not going to happen unless you do it yourself or are working in the stratosphere somewhere. Next-best is to take a bunch of senders and select the one that reads closest to truth with a particular gauge. Also not going to happen in the automotive world.

Yours, David