Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:33:00 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Injector Driver Module
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@gmail.com>

"Sounds like yer 84 is falling apart on you, ECU, Spark Plugs, Water Faucet, et al. What gives Mr Squirrel?"

Normal maintenance, my friend, normal maintenance.

Yes, there is some kinda weird engine cutout that occurs only when it's da** hot and I'm climbing long steep grades. This surface for the first time two summers ago. But didn't occur last summer. But did this summer.

Science is baffled.

My Ken Lewis O2 measuring gizmo says the engine goes LEAN when the engine cuts out--so it could be my ECU going on a hunger strike or some other fuel-delivery problem.

Mark Drillock says he has a spare ECU for me to use for , and that's one thing worth trying.

The water faucet thing. Well, it looks like I got an early part from last year when the parts had just been put into production. The leak is a Known Issue. Bus Depot and Cherie, AKA, the "Skylight Gal" (GFAB Manufacturing Ltd), have stepped up to the plate and are sending a new pressure-tested unit.

W/r/t the spark plugs. Man, I don't know what to do. Dennis Haynes, who, in my estimation, ranks up with the sainted Bob Hoover of air cooled VW engine fame (a man whom I was honored to receive personal coaching from in 2007 when my '71 bay window blew its engine -- he lived about five miles from my house) says the plugs will turn my engine into toast and probably cause impotence.

This can't be good.

But other folk who have been using these plugs for, like, ever have no complaints. These would be the Scott Daniels of our list fame, and the tencentlife of The Samba fame. Off-record, I've received technical and well-argued private e-mails both pro and con about these things.

Hoover always discouraged anything that would improve the engine's performance, feeling that the VW engineers optimized their engines for long life. He did develop several nice modifications for the engines, but they were done to increase reliability and longevity.

But the Dark Side calls. The increased pep the new plugs provide is seductive.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 08/24/2012 03:06 PM, Old Volks Home wrote: > Oh, the ECU......also called a "gonkulator" > > ;) > > Sounds like yer 84 is falling apart on you, ECU, Spark Plugs, Water > Faucet, et al. What gives Mr Squirrel? >