Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:56:45 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge Burner box
Comments: To: Don Hundt <donhundt@GMAIL.COM>

I am surprised that the ice compartment in your RV box was at the bottom. That would not work as well as if it were at the top, since cold air descends.

When I was a young child, my family used an ice box for home food storage. It was upright, like a refrigerator, and had an ice compartment in the top, with a drain pipe down to the bottom, where there was a tray to catch the melt. The "ice man" came around with giant blocks of ice in his truck, from which he chiseled off the correct size block for the box he was servicing. He brought the ice into the house on his back, wearing a rubber apron on his back. He had ice tongs that folded to the proper dimension to fit any sized block. We kids liked to get the big slivers that he chipped off as he was dividing a block.

When the ice company stopped running home delivery routes, some time around the time I started to school in 1951, we got a refrigerator, mail order from "Monkey Wards."

Soon after that, the local ice company closed their facility in our tiny oil patch town, and we had to go seven miles to a bigger town to get blocks of ice to make ice cream in the hand crank freezer.

Some three years ago, when I was in the market for a VW camper, I saw one advertized that had an ice box built into the kitchen area, with a drain pipe that drained under the van. I assume that the thing was custom installed, as I have never heard of another one.

mcneely

---- Don Hundt <donhundt@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Years ago my parents owned a camper with an icebox instead of a > refrigerator. It looked just like a standard rv refrigerator, but we just > stuck a couple 10 lb blocks of ice in it. The ice sat in a pan in the > bottom, there was a drain to remove any melt water. Worked well for us. Or > you could just remember to drain your cooler a couple times a day. > Don > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:44 PM > Subject: Re: Fridge Burner box > > > > "Of course I really like my other food stuffs staying dry." > > > > This being my main objection to ice chests: finding my food swimming in > > cold watery soup. > > > > -- > > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > > Bend, Ore.

-- David McNeely