Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:26:32 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Last New Vanagons Left In North America, 1991 Waning Letter / Map
Comments: To: Syncro List <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

For today's treat, I have for you a message sent out from the executive at Volkswagen who was overseeing Vanagon/Camper/Syncro in 1991 of the coming catastrophe in the world of VW vans.

I guess I had already got my name on VW's list of van freaks that I got this odd letter.

It is a funny letter because he *knows* that some of us would feel ill when seeing VW had prepared to replace the Vanagon -- he politely and ominously warns that we will be "completely unprepared" for what the Eurovan is, and provides a not-too-subtle suggestion that maybe you should PANIC and go snap up one of the last of the brand new Vanagons, Campers, or Syncros left in North America. (At the time, I panicked.)

Then he goes on to provide a US MAP of where all the last inventory is so you can get one before they are all gone forever, adding with a wink, "I want to make certain that those of you who want to buy the last of an era get some 'inside' help", which he then provides via the map.

The map is interesting because it shows that as of June 1991 the inventory of Syncros in the Southeast at that time was ZERO, whereas 85% of all the remaining syncros (~175?) were either in the pacific northwest, or the mountain states.

There were ~700 Campers (non-syncro) left in the country to buy as of June 1991, but only another ~100 or so Syncro Campers, about a 7 to 1 ratio.

Maybe somebody else can get these numbers into Excel and get some fun analysis out of them, tintop ratios and such.

This is as close a letter as I can think of to VW hinting that something bad was about to happen (for people of a certain mindset).

Here is the map:

<https://docs.google.com/a/derekmail.com/file/d/0B8sxgRMrur9XUGNDa0FSUkJoMUk/edit>https://docs.google.com/a/derekmail.com/file/d/0B8sxgRMrur9XUGNDa0FSUkJoMUk/edit

Here is the complete letter:

<https://docs.google.com/a/derekmail.com/file/d/0B8sxgRMrur9XTy1NMzR3U2xGWnM/edit>https://docs.google.com/a/derekmail.com/file/d/0B8sxgRMrur9XTy1NMzR3U2xGWnM/edit

Go ahead and expand them to see them zoomed in for better reading.

======================================= In case of trouble with the above two links, try these:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8sxgRMrur9XUGNDa0FSUkJoMUk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8sxgRMrur9XTy1NMzR3U2xGWnM

Go ahead and expand them to see them zoomed in for better reading.

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew Washington DC / New York derekdrew@derekmail.com Email is best normally but... PHONE: 202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532