Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:25:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poor Hot Start Discovery - midway through solution
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

The normal way to start a waterboxer engine is just turn the key to on, check warning lights, listen for fuel pump to run and shut off, then hit 'start'. It should jump right to an idle. No gas pedal technique required.

( some people have the bad habbit of reviving the engine the second if fires 'to make sure it's running'. Don't do that. You want to get through the first 30 seconds or so of running as gently as you can. )

The ecu is not smart enough to prevent flooding. It just does what the imputs say it should do. Say plugs or fouled or plug wires are bad .....This era ecu is not smart enough to see that the plugs aren't fiing ..it'll just inject what is it supposed to. Similarly..say an injector is worn and sprays more than it should, or leaks say .... the ecu only knows what 'on time' in milliseconds to hold the injectors open. It can't tell what they are actually doing .. other than once running and getting some feedback from the 02 sensor.

If I leave my 85 adventurewagon idling cold in the winter ( never recommended ..letting an engine 'warm up' that way ! ) the rpm isn't that high .....in a few minutes it'll load up and stall. Then I might have to start it pedal on the floor to get more air in to get it to unflood and fire up. Of course. ....with an AFM flapper in the way ..it's not quite the same as unflooding a carburetted engine. In an extreme case might have to hold throttle wide open and get more air in ......like remove a breather hose at the air boot.... So they should not flood ever. But they can sometimes. If one does really flood ..something isn't right somewhere ..or several somewheres. As suggested ...it's good to think about the Temp sensor II.

scott

On 8/26/2012 9:07 AM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > "Also do not step on the accelerator pedal when starting, this causes > flooding." > > I thought the ECU controlled how much fuel the injectors spray, not the > pedal. Does the ECU permit flooding? > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. > > On 08/25/2012 08:58 PM, Alfred Bagdan wrote: >> I had the same problem a long time ago. The problem was >> intermittent and hard to diagnose. I replaced the TempII sensor and >> that fixed it. Also do not step on the accelerator pedal when >> starting, this causes flooding. > > [snip] >