Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:50:15 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Pulled my fridge today and...

Fixed it. At least it looks that way. .

The performance of my once ice-making, easy-to-light fridge has been faltering the last year or so, to the point that I took a cooler along on my last trip. Yesterday after lunch I turned it on propane and took notes more or less every hour of its performance. The temps fell slowly, and tracked about 12 degrees below ambient all night and this morning.

I am in the habit of touching the flue vent cover when I am traveling, just to see, and I know what it should feel like. It should be uncomfortably, but not blistering, hot. It wasn't. It wasn't half that.

So, I pulled the fridge out and had a look at the burner box. At first I didn't notice anything really out of the ordinary. Then as I was moving things around, I saw some black silt fall out of the slits in the burner tube. I took it all the way out and cleaned it good, and cleaned on each side of the orifice but decided that if I could blow through it and tell it was moving air, it was OK. I got a lot of what looked like fine black sand out of the tube. Say quarter a teaspoon in all, and blew some of the same out of the flue vent tubes. I put it back together and fired it up, after the obligatory ten fifteen minutes of priming it. The flue vent cover was hot. I started recording the temps. In the first 30 minutes, it has fallen more than it did all night last night. I am confident enough that it's going to work that I am—gasp—hooking up the sink faucet.

Jim