Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2012 03:42:55 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Poor Hot Start Discovery - midway through solution
Comments: To: George Laubach <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

At 05:16 PM 8/26/2012, George Laubach wrote: >2. I'll check the charcoal filter valve. I've not ventured into that >realm yet.

I'll pay you a dollar if that has anything to do with the case.

>3. I still have not read a crystal clear explanation of what the >Temp II sensor does. I mean, what does the varying ohm signal from >the Temp II sensor "cause and affect"? For example, coolant hot, >ohm signal low, this measure travels to the ECU via the connector, >resulting in a signal pathway to what(s)? And then what(s)? And for >why(s)? That sort of thing. Please. Thanks.

The ECU is a computer that on the 2.1l engines handles fuel injection and ignition including timing advance. On the 1.9l it only does the fuel injection; ignition drive is handled by a separate ignition module and the distributor has conventional centrifugal and vacuum advance/retard mechanisms.

In its fuel injection capacity it calculates the mass of air passing through the engine and injects the correct amount of fuel to burn with that amount of air, and it modifies that amount based on certain conditions such as cold engine, wide-open throttle, decelerating with closed throttle (modifies it down to nothing in that case), cold idle, warm idle. T-II is simply the thermometer that tells it about engine temperature. T-I is electrically identical (located inside the AFM) and informs it about intake air temp, which it needs to calculate air mass from measured air volume. AFM is a spring loaded vane-operated potentiometer that measures the volume of air passing through. All these operate by taking a five-volt signal supplied through a resistor inside the ECU and grounding it through varying amounts of resistance, causing it to vary. The ECU reads the voltage on each sensor line and interprets it appropriately, then uses it as input for the calculations it's making about how long to hold the injectors open.

Yrs, d