Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:05:18 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repair Shops in Georgia/SC - Transmission: No shifting into
              3rd              or 4th
Comments: To: Paul Smith <paulwithwesty@GMAIL.COM>

I live in northeast Florida and you can do what I did.....

Get someone local to drop the tranny, pack it up and send it to Daryl in Washington state.

Then you will know that it will be overhauled properly.

Cheers, Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

________________________________ From: Paul Smith <paulwithwesty@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:59 PM Subject: Repair Shops in Georgia/SC - Transmission: No shifting into 3rd or 4th

I have a 1989 Vanagon (Westy) GL, 4 speed manual transmission. Recently while driving, leaving a stop light going to shift from 2nd to 3rd the transmission would not go into 3rd gear, or 4th. I got my wife to move the shift as I was underneath peering up at the working of the linkage. When the shift lever is pushed over towards the right (passenger side) to shift into 3rd/4th the shaft back at the transmission moves out but it will not rotate. I notice for 1st/2nd it moves in and then rotates clockwise/counter-clockwise depending on the gear selected. Reverse still works also, although it seems a bit stiff. To my untrained eye the shift linkage appears to be working correctly. I do routinely crawl underneath and grease the shift linkage at the front, the bearings, and the rear fittings - everything looks about as I recall, but I wasn't looking at a problem when applying the grease. I think the problem may be internal and that's where I run into a problem. I do not have a place, the tools, or the time to drop and repair a transmission (I managed a water pump replacement, and the usual regular maintenance). I live in Beaufort, SC and the two repair shops near me that are listed at The RoadHaus have both recently closed (one in Charleston, one in Hilton Head). The nearest now looks to be Wolfsburg Tech in Macon, GA. Two questions: Any thoughts on what more to look at external to the transmission? Any recommendations on repair shops and/or mechanics in the area (basically Savannah to Charleston or points inland)? Thanks to all for any information.

Cheers - Paul Smith **