Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:48:33 +0000
From:         Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Poor Hot Start Discovery - midway through solution
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

David writes:

"The whine and the T-II are not related. Neither one knows or cares about the other. The whine may mean you're starved for fuel but also may not. You've got the square filter before the pump, yes? Pinch off the supply hose, pull the filter and see if you can blow through it easily and/or if there's a teaspoon of crud in it. If you're really interested, let it dry out and saw the end off. Anyway, deal with the filter immediately and get it out of the way. Then if the whine comes back you're likely looking at a plugged filter sock inside the tank."

OP (Skip - me) now writes:

'84 Westy, Digijet.

I replaced the pre-fuel pump little plastic square filter with the big, honkin' post-fuel pump metal filter (GoWesty kit), so no pre-fuel pump filter in place (I also bettered the fuel pump ground and replaced the fuel pump). All this done last fall.

Since the fuel pump starts whining about a mile before the Vanagon begins to lose power, then deduction begs an issue with the fuel tank, filter sock, or fuel itself? I had filled up with a mid-grade gas (usually use premium). Not that it would make any difference at all, but I could always question the quality of gas at this particular service station (not BP, but BP gas in the midwest has been identified as having problems out of the Whiting, Indiana refinery during the last month - that gas goes to more than BP - this was a 7-11 (quick-serve brand) gas station. Though I doubt bad gas would produce a fuel pump whine - a fuel pump whine would indicate "starved for fuel", not "bad gas"...correct?

I'll throw some SeaFoam in tonight (I also have some MMO). I need a few more data points before I pull the tank and replace (I replaced the tank's fuel/evap lines last year, so pulling the tank is not a big deal for me). It seems, though, that replacement tanks sometimes come with their own set of (quality) problems.

BTW, re: Temp II sensor, what is the best source for the "best quality" sensor? Not that I think my "other issue" is the sensor (I think it's the connector), but do our friendly e-tailers carry the highest quality Temp II sensors? And what is the "highest quality" brand?

Thanks,

Skip